Check out this piece in the local paper about last weekend's holiday sale and be sure to join us this Saturday is you missed it!
Check out our newest product at the holiday sale on Saturday, December 2--100% alpaca pressing mats for quilt blocks, embroidery, and other home sewing!
Heartfelt will be at Arrow Rock this weekend, October 14-15, and at Hannibal next weekend, October 21-22, for their fall festivals. The Heartfelt booth will feature our popular insoles and other felted alpaca items, cozy alpaca socks, and fun-tastic animal hats for the young and young at heart. Hope to see you there!
Shopping at a local farm store puts money into the local rural economy, funneling cash to farmers, which makes living on a small farm more affordable. There is a cash drain in rural America, money endlessly flowing outward. Farm stores can bring a bit of that cash-flow back into the rural economy, where so often it just bleeds outward. Where you shop matters, friends. Shopping at a farm store makes farming that much more economically viable.
Come meet the alpacas and get first dibs on fall and holiday shopping this weekend! Heartfelt and the Lickliders' farm, Curly Eye, will be open to the public Saturday and Sunday, September 23 and 24, from 9 a.m. till 3 p.m. visitors can meet the alpacas, feed them, take pictures, learn about alpacas and their wonderful fiber, and shop in our Best-of-Columbia farm store. Hope to see you there!
The suri alpaca has a long lustrous fleece that hangs vertically down its body and is often referred to as dreadlocks. The locks that make up the fleece should be round, close to the skin and have a uniform twist from beginning to end. The locks in a suri fleece should be uniform in size and style throughout the fleece. This uniformity in a suri fleece is akin to the uniformity created by crimp in a Huacaya fleece.
Whether Suri or Huacaya, both types of alpaca fleece are considered luxury fibers because of their unique characteristics. In the United States 85% of alpacas are Huacaya while the remaining 15% are Suri. Both of these fibers can be as soft or softer than cashmere.
One of the students at the University of Missouri's famous School of Journalism did a nice little piece on Heartfelt. Check it out here!
Heartfelt Alpaca Creations has been partnering with Purely Alpaca/Choice Alpaca for several years, and we wanted you to know about their fiber call. Purely Alpaca is offering $10 per usable pound of prime fiber and $8 per usable pound of seconds and thirds, to be paid in store credit forwww.PurelyAlpaca.com.Interested? Here are the details:
Heartfelt products begin with an alpaca like Cindy Lou Who, our mascot. Sometime in the spring–usually April or May–we'll shear our herds. Diane and Linda do their own shearing a few animals at a time. Mary hires a professional shearer who shears in the US during the New Zealand winter off-season.
The farm store / Heartfelt Studio at 6701 W. Gillespie Bridge Rd., Columbia, MO will be open to the public. The barn is open as well.
We are grateful to everyone who came today for our SARE workshop. We have now uploaded all of our project files to Dropbox.com, so that anyone who is interested should be able to get to the files by clicking HERE. If that doesn't work for you, just email us, and we'll manually add you to the Dropbox folder.
My mom was a quilter, and I can remember as a child playing under the expanse of a new quilt pinned into the frames, surrounded by the legs of my aunts and neighbor women as they sat around the perimeter of my fort, talking and stitching. As childhood forts go, they were huge! So many years later, when Heartfelt was forming and beginning to make felted alpaca rugs, it seemed natural to me to sift through the boxes of quilting and applique patterns that I'd inherited from mom. The grey Evelyn's Posy design is named for her, and I like to think that she'd approve of this new use of these timeless designs.
Three of the four women of Heartfelt have just returned from the FeltLOOM conference in Sharpsburg, KY. LanMark Farm (www.feltloom.com/lan-mark-farm) is the home of Don Bowles and Lynette Frietag, creators of the Feltloom. They have a beautiful farm, with an old farmhouse, a fiber mill, and a lodge perfect for the conference.